So the other day, MsJadey told me about a game an author that she likes had played in their lj, and it struck me as something really cool… the more I thought about it, the more I began to think it just seemed so appropriately self-glorifying like so much fun, I couldn’t resist doing it myself. So here we go.

Reply to this post with a quote from one of my fics, and if I can’t guess which story it’s from, I’ll write you a ficlet. The quote must be a complete clause at least three words long (though I may make exceptions to the ‘complete clause’ rule if it’s a fragmented sentence that doesn’t actually form a complete clause but is at least three words long); I promise I won’t cheat. I’ll let you choose the pairing/subject of the ficlet, and, what the hell, even the fandom (among those I’m familiar with, of course). Any takers?

EDIT: I will never get tired of this game. Feel free to try as many times as you want for the rest of eternity. Even if you’re coming on this post, like, twelve decades after I started it.

94 Comments

1. ironpuncher2

“You want me to beat you up on weekends?”

I’ve always liked that one ^_^

• momentsdrift

XD So have I. (Up)Turning the Tables!

• ironpuncher2

*shakes fist* One day I shall trounce thee!

2. hishighnesshiko

“It seemed strange that, after everything he’d been through, after each former enemy he’d defeated, and despite the fact that through everything he’d always managed to come out on top, he was still so horribly not “on top” in this one area of his life.”

• momentsdrift

Oh, that one’s too easy! Condition of Learned Helplessness, of course.

3. onna_soujirou

“He’d never been quite sure he could best the former Shinsengumi captain in battle, and wasn’t anxious to try it — but it might come to that, for much as he liked to hope that his plans were unfathomed, he was too familiar with Saitou’s cunning to believe it was possible.”

• momentsdrift

That one actually took me a second… Wildflowers – Answers in the Snow is one I don’t reread as often as some others.

• onna_soujirou

Ahh… well good job that you guessed it then. ^^ You’re really good at this!

4. indarato

hey,:D
    ok, here is this one:
    “Yeah, I decided a long time ago that if I was going to do all that stuff with my boyfriend”

m(_ _)m

O_o

. . .

Wow, I think we have a winner. Maybe. What the hell story is that from?? Is it Theory of the Misattribution of Emotions? I’m going to go downstairs right after I post this and find out.

• momentsdrift

Wow, it was Theory. You almost got me there… I was totally not sure about that.

• indarato

Good! :D

It was!, I really though that you’ll figure out immediately.

5. alet_san

“How do you feel?” Kenshin inquired in the same tone as before.

• Anonymous

As the Years Go Up in Smoke, methinks.

6. alet_san

HAPPY DANCE OF A THOUSAND JOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although perhaps it’s not PC to do that because you lost.

Angles, biatch. I ficlet = mine. Can I request?

^________________^

• momentsdrift

*sniggers* It was a toss-up between those two stories… only places where Kenshin asks how someone feels, especially in a worried way where his tone wouldn’t change :D Yeth, request away.

• alet_san

I WANNA FIREFLY FICCY. *_______*

Because, there aren’t enough good ones around. There’s a decent amount, but the cornucopia doth not overflow, if you catch my drift. Jayne/Mal or Jayne/Simon (or Mal/Jayne or Simon/Jayne . . . I know you care about thats more than I), or Jayne/anyone/Jayne. You will make me love it, I’m sure.

7. Anonymous

from Dedra =)

“Sano,” the red-head said in a low, worried tone. “Are you really all right?”

• momentsdrift

Hmm, I think I’m wrong again. That’s actually from Rurouni’s Kiss, isn’t it? I pretty much forgot about that story…

• Anonymous

Dedra again =P

Yep, it’s from Rurouni’s Kiss. So does this count as a misguess? x]

• momentsdrift

That it does; I only get one guess :D So what kind of ficlet do you want?

• Anonymous

Dedra =)

Rurouni Kenshin! x] And of course, Saitou/Sano ;]

8. ladyames

here’s an easy one for you:

“Not at all,” Saitou replied. As Sano reached a hand into his pocket, he deftly seized the boy’s wrist and twisted his arm around behind his back.

extremely ramdon. XP

Oh, that’s Double Date. You’re right, it was easy :D

• ladyames

*grin* told ya. maybe i’ll try again later.

9. imillien

Hello,

“A fool who thinks he’s strong and doesn’t know the first thing about defense isn’t going to survive long.”

easy or not? ^_-

• momentsdrift

Pretty easy, since the only time I’ve ever written the scene that line is lifted (and slightly reworded) from was in Angles.

And stop letting your cat drink from the toilet!! :D

• imillien

;_; and I thought it wouldn’t be so easy since Saitou is always telling Sano that he should work on his defense… well could I try another one? If yes, here it’s (if no just ignore it):
        “Saitou seemed to have the same idea.”

About my cat: He is a little bit obsessed with bathrooms in general. Favorite toy -toilet paper, favorite pass time -sitting on the toilet looking at water while I take a bath and he loves to lie in the bathtub -_-

• momentsdrift

My cat Tokio will drink from anything but her water bowl, and the bathtub is her favorite. Cats are weird.

And, yeth, you may try as many times as you like. As for that quote, I really don’t know… I’m going to go with Princess of the Mists.

• imillien

^_^ /^_^/ ^_^ no again it’s from Rurouni’s Kiss. I was going to post: “Saitou was looking into the sky, apparently studying the stars as he calmly smoked his cigarette.” but that would be too easy since I don’t remember Saitou “studying the stars” in any other fic. I’ll think about the fic, but it’ll definitely be Saitou/Sano :3

And yes, cats are weird, but in a good and loving way. I call my cat Tuti but he only reacts when I send him kisses >_< I think cats owners are even weirder…

• momentsdrift

Yeth, that one about the stars I would have gotten :D Let me know when you figure out what kind of ficlet you want.

Cats are the best items in the world!!!!

• imillien

S/S… somehow

Well, I know you said you weren’t completely satisfy with “Always” but I’d like to request something in that spirit only with Sano being in that kind of hopeless relationship with Aoshi and then somehow add Saitou to the picture. I know overly sentimental but I’d like to see Sano in relationship with Saitou but not necessary in love with him. Like sometimes we are with people we know are good for us and we respect them but not always in love with them… Does it even make sense? >_

• momentsdrift

It makes sense until you throw Aoshi in, heh… who is Sano supposed to be in love with, and who’s he supposed to be in a relationship with? I is confused.

• imillien

Ok. so he is supposed to be in a relationship with Saitou but in love with someone else. I choose Aoshi because he is somehow fitting to be (the bastard that doesn’t love Sano back) worthy rival of Saitou but you can choose anyone you wish (Kenshin o_o Chou -_- Misao …ok maybe not anyone)

BTW I also really like Aoshi x Soujirou but that is beside the point.

• kuroiyousei

I decided on Kenshin as the other guy… I do so love the Saitou/Sano/Kenshin triangle. Didn’t know how to refer to you; wazza name to call you? And here is item.

• momentsdrift

(and that may be the first time I’ve ever replied to someone on this lj actually signed in as )

• imillien

Depending either it’s good or bad, should I feel honored? ^_^

Thank you very much for the fic! It was very bitter sweet because it was both full filling – Sano’s unhappiness but at the same time decision to stay with Saitou until the end – but not knowing how Saitou felt in their relationship left me wanting to learn about his feelings. Did he know how Sano felt? (probably) Did he even care? Or because he was in love with Sano he just wanted to be with him no matter what? And that last line was just too sad I kept rereading it and rereading it.
                      Once again thank you very much ^_^
                      Oh and my name is Ida because it’s so short I don’t have any nick.

• momentsdrift

Now, see, I purposely left Saitou’s emotions out of it because it was just too damn painful to think that he might know and what he would be feeling in that event, heh… I can only stand to torture him up to a certain point, and just this situation was about it :D Anyway, I’m glad you’re pleased wis the ficlet; I thought it turned out pretty decent, despite teh sad.

10. queen_yokozuna

I goddam hope you don’t get this one:

He hadn’t expected this.

XD!

• momentsdrift

Given that it’s characteristic of about 75% of the relationships I write…… Well, I can narrow it down a bit, but I’m still divided among four or five different items. I’m going to guess He Can Be Taught; if I’m not right, hopefully whatever it’s from will at least be on my list of suspects!!

• queen_yokozuna

EEEEEEEEEE!

It’s Birthday Present (which I positively love)!!

So you ready for me ficletty requesty? ^_____________________^

• momentsdrift

Aha! I realize it now; I remember now… sometimes I forget my vignettes entirely, or just some of them. That one wasn’t on my list of possibilities. Yeth, what is your request?

• queen_yokozuna

Heh. XD Sano a whore; Saitou his first paying customer. I don’t care how you goes abouts it. :D

11. ladyames

here we go again!

“You were rather pathetic.”

• momentsdrift

*shakes head* Now, that one I know is He Can Be Taught.

12. Anonymous

Dedra again

I’m just about to go read the ficlet you’ve written for me, which I’m sure I’ll love =) I don’t suppose though, that I can try to stump you again with another quote? x] There is a really strange Saitou/Sano plot bunny I’d love to see you try to write (and which I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to write myself).

• Anonymous

Dedra here

Thanks! =P I am a she, in reply to you and Queen Yokozuna (and I love your fics too, by the way). I also try to write fics (keyword – try), but haven’t produced anything that’s mildly satisfactory to me. When I finally manage to produce one, you’ll hear from me probably x]
        I loved your ficlet, “Two, Five, or Twenty.” I’m usually into more serious and sometimes angsty fics, but this one struck such a perfect balance of seriousness and lightheartedness that I actually chuckled to myself out loud =) Thanks again.
        As for my next try to stump you, how about this quotation – “”No, I’m not, bastard.” And about that weird plot bunny – on second thought, it’d be hard to pull off in a ficlet (I’m writing a series on it), so I’ve got another idea. Of course, I haven’t “won” yet, but I’ve got my fingers crossed =)

• momentsdrift

Having thought about that one for about half an hour and attempting to narrow it down, I’m still going to have to go with a wild guess with Angles. I don’t think you really needed to cross your fingers for that one….

• momentsdrift

It was driving me crazy that I didn’t know what story that was from, so I had to go find it… obviously my guess was wrong… so you win again!

13. ladyames

alright, one last time.

There were a lot of things he wanted to do, actually.

• momentsdrift

I’ma go with my first instinct and say As the Years Go Up in Smoke.

• ladyames

*nods* yep. damn, spoiled again. *pout*

14. Anonymous

Dedra

Yay! =) It’s from “Secondhand Smoke,” in case you didn’t find it x] So, my request is yet another Rurouni Kenshin Saitou/Sano ficlet, except I’m gonna get more specific this time. A lot of the fics I see out there always have Sano as the one who’s seemingly hopelessly attracted to/in love with Saitou. I can name a few fics off the top of my head where Sano dies and Saitou never knows about how Sano loves him, but none of Saitou in the same position. I guess it’s harder to imagine Saitou in that position, but I’m curious to see how you attempt it. You can specifically do the Saitou-dying-and-Sano-never-knows plot, or just generally anything along the lines I mentioned. Thanks! =)

15. ladyames

alright. this is the last time, i promise!

Sanosuke shrugged, and said nothing more.

• ladyames

*does happy dance* yay, i did it!! finally!

nope. (Up)Turning the Tables yay!!

• momentsdrift

Oh, nice work! Um, wow, I so don’t remember that line… *runs off to find it* Ah, OK, I see.

‘k-doke, what’s the request?

• ladyames

hmmmm, i know. *light bulb goes on over head*

posessive saito. yep. other than that, i’ll leave the rest up to you.

16. elica

“It was the early hours of the morning, and no light shone from houses along the street as the occupants slept in preparation for the approaching day.”

Perhaps a little late to play ?

• momentsdrift

:D It is never too late to play this game, because I love it obsessively. And I’m not sure about that quote, but I’ma guess Majime ni Ikite.

• elica

Nah, was “As the years grows up in smoke”, which I love (hthough I love every little SaiSa you wrote ^^)

• momentsdrift

Hmm, yeah, I remember now. OK, what kinda ficlet do you want?

• elica

SaiSa of course.
            The usual confrontation street rat versus wolf, but in our times ^^ (not that original in fact)

thank you !

• momentsdrift

Here y’go. Sorry it took so long!!!!!

17. farstrider

Well. . .I kept threatening you with this so, here’s my try:

• momentsdrift

Methinks that is from Oujosama Hanayome.

18. dragynsidhe

“Certainly he was angry enough.”

• momentsdrift

*scratches head* Seems like something I reread recently, because it’s hella familiar…………………………… But I can’t remember, so I will just have to guess. He Can Be Taught?

• momentsdrift

Ah, I found it… PotM was another guess I had; shoulda gone with that one, heh.

• dragynsidhe

Ok.

I want Ad Avis forced into harem girl’s clothing a la Nawaar or the like. There should be hijinks, like some undercover plot involved, or something.

He gets to be funny but Katrina MUST be sexy. *giggles* Not that she isn’t always her sexy self, but, gratuitous narrative, please!!!

If you can figure out how to work Elsa in I will love you forever. And if you put Elsa in with gratuitous narrative too, I will love you forever and ever.

19. indarato

Hey, :D
    all the ficlets are wonderful jobs :)
    One nightfall = Superb

Well, let’s see. I think that somebody send something from this fic…anyway, here:
    .:Saitou knelt beside him, gripping his shoulder with one hand, the other poised for another strike.

I Hope you don’t mind (if you guessed the other one), just to save time:
    .:The brief battle over, Saitou turned and stepped up onto the porch.

GoodDayGoodLife

• indarato

Missed only one word :P
      …I Hope you don’t mind (if you NOT guessed the other one)…

• momentsdrift

I believe the first one’s from Visions of Fire and Ice and the second one’s from Shukuteki Genzan!

• indarato

Heeey! :D
          Right, Well done ^.^

m(_ _)m

20. Anonymous

Oh! Oh! I want to play!

“*Only* Saitou would consider that entertaining.”

• momentsdrift

I theenk that is from Canine Impulses, though I thought you hadn’t read that one yet.

(YAY THIS GAME)

21. e_witness

Oh, this looks so fun. I mean, it’s not yet twelve decades, right? Which means it’s still kosher to play? XD

• momentsdrift

Yes, anyone is welcome to play this game any time! Actually, anypony has a better chance of winning these days because I’ve reread my own fics less frequently of late XD

• e_witness

Oh, good, how could I resist then? :D Although, I suspect this one may be a bit easy for you to guess:

And briefly he told the story — of a doctor drowning in guilt, a businessman mad with greed, and four warriors’ ultimate devotion to their commander.

• momentsdrift

I’m guessing that’s from Warriors Blue; I think that’s the only place where I’ve had a character summarize parts of the canon in a tone that suggests the reader knows all of this even if the other character in the conversation doesn’t. We’ll see if I’m right!

• e_witness

Damn. Completely right. :) It’s one of my favorite lines from Warriors Blue. If I’m allowed to play again if only because I’m determined to drag you back into RuroKen – erm *cough*… this may be a bit harder:

“That’s for stabbing me,” I tell him.

• momentsdrift

You are welcome to play all you wish. I know the new one, however, as from 漸進的 な 会得 – Gradual Understanding; the present tense narrows it down considerably XD

• Anonymous

Why oh why are you so good at this? Next time I’m hunting down a truly obscure quote…

• e_witness

That would be me, forgetting to sign in.